t's called the 4-7-8 breathing technique, also known as Relaxing Breath. According to Dr. Andrew Weil, it's a natural depressant for your nervous system, helping you fall asleep in 60 seconds by quieting the parts of your brain where stress manifests.
This is how you do it, according to Weil's website:
1. Press the tip of your tongue against the hard ridge of tissue behind your upper front teeth and keep it there.
2. Exhale all of your breath out.
3. Inhale, quietly, through your nose for four seconds.
4. Hold that breath for seven seconds.
5. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whooshing sound, for eight seconds.